I don’t know why, but I always feel more motivated during the fall semester than the spring semester. It just seems that the closer I get to graduation the worse my procrastination gets. As bad as my procrastination and motivation are I still want to end the semester strong so let’s talk about reducing procrastination.
- Acknowledging You’re a Procrastinator: Don’t deny it, it’s only going to make it worse. It’s okay procrastination is normal, but don’t let it take over your life.
- To-do Lists: A big reason why we procrastinate is that we simply just don’t want to do it! So push yourself to get it out of the way as soon as possible. Some people feel if they do the task last minute the pressure will allow them to finish quicker. When I finish tasks quickly at the last minute I get anxious thinking about how much better of a job I could have done if I had started earlier.
- Scheduling Yourself Well: Giving yourself a sooner due date than the actual due date can be very beneficial. If it’s due on Friday write in your planner it’s due on Tuesday. I’ve found that I enjoy doing the task more when I know I have more time to do it.
- Reward Yourself: This is the one for me. Those little rewards for finishing the tasks I don’t want to do push me to get them done! If it’s a bigger task you could reward yourself for getting parts of the task done. For example, if the task is a long paper, I’ll reward myself with coffee when I have made enough progress or some time on social media!
- Have Someone Hold You Accountable: Having someone check in on you to make sure you’re getting your tasks will allow extra accountability. This is the best kind of peer pressure!
One last piece of advice I have is looking forward to things, such as spring break! In a few weeks, we’ll be about halfway through the semester on break, stay strong guys!