As future professionals, we all know the importance networking and making connections have for our career paths, but maintaining your connections is just as important as gaining them.
So what is needed to maintain your connections?
Well, first of all, networking is about building relationships and learning how to them while they help you while sharing mutual respect.
These are a few ways to keep your bond and maintain your connections.
- Take notes during your conversations and follow up with them afterward.
- This shows your interest.
- Send them an article or news about something you know is important to them.
- This shows you consider them and acknowledge their interests.
- Remember the names of people important to them.
- When having a conversation with them, remembering the names of people important to them shows you listen and are very attentive.
- Come up with a solution to a problem they shared with you. This is a great way to bond and great material for a letter of recommendation.
- For example, a doctor I interpret for needed help finding a used CPAP (Continuous positive airway pressure) machine for an uninsured patient, and I was able to guide them in locating reasonably priced equipment to help.
- Let them know you are searching for a job or an internship.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Let your connections know that you appreciate their time and how much they have helped you grow.
- Especially if you achieved the desired job or internship.
- Lastly, stay in touch!
Remember Networking is not just about getting a job or an internship. It’s about your ongoing career development and the support necessary to maintain your success.