Being a Communications major, I am learning about social media. The big five of social media sites i.e Facebook, twitter, Instagram and Snapchat, Youtube are something we cannot live without. Social media has given its users a voice, and existence that they could never think of. Lets not forget the sites that started it all i.e. MySpace, Orkut? Friendster? Napster? As the time is passing social media is becoming more sophisticated and have more options to integrate with their users lifestyle. Social media is informing us, educating us, and also entertaining us. Where else would we get our daily doses for ‘memes’ if it wasn’t for Facebook and Instagram? Where else would we see our latest sports highlights? or our favorite recipes for pie if it wasn’t for YouTube. I, myself could not help but think that besides Netflix, YouTube, plays a huge part in providing me various mode of entertainment according to me mood. It could vary from my favorite music artists, to a cooking recipe or latest review on new technology. Over the years I have subscribed to various vloggers (video bloggers) and entertainers. I love watching dance videos. There are some Youtube channels and stars that I think are the best and most fun to watch.
- Superwoman If you don’t know who ‘Lilly Singh’ is, you must be living under a rock. A Youtube-er from Canada, now living in LA. She got her popularity from making satirical and most entertaining videos of her Punjabi, Indian background. One can see her later acting and production work in many cameos and music videos. She is going to be the host of much awaited talk show ‘A little late with Lilly’ on NBC.
- 5-Minute Crafts I know that I, myself is watching it, my kids are watching it, and my friends are sharing it on Facebook. From learning how to recycle old bottles and turning them into plant pots, or hot glue created cell phone cover or 5 different ways to make chocolate desserts this lifestyle changing channel is helpful to all. It only takes 5 minutes!
- T-Series If you grew up watching Bollywood movies (Indian Movies) like me, you probably are already subscribed to it. It’s the most subscribed channel on You-Tube on 2019. You can get the latest Indian movie trailers, and musical dance numbers here.
- The Ellen Show The day time talk show queen Ellen DeGeneres, will give you a daily dose of snippets of her show on her YouTube channel, One does not have to worry about missing her show on t.v. Her interviews, games and philanthropic work are showcased in her show in the most ‘Ellen’ way and one can watch it all in YouTube.
- Buzz Feed It started out as a channel that would cover news and topics that no one else would cover. It still does the same. It follows all viral trends and more.
Universities at Shady Grove have their own YouTube channel which you can visit and subscribe here. Universities at Shady Grove is also hosting its annual Film Festival, which will showcase the work on Communication students in Building 1, Auditorium on May 2nd,2019. If you want to catch previous work from past film festival movies, created by students, you can catch all of them here and don’t forget to subscribe!