Congratulations to those graduating next month! You made it! Most of you are probably busy finishing up your final papers and projects as well as searching for jobs after graduation. Today, because everything is online, most of you probably already use the web to search for potential employments and apply online. How many of you have a LinkedIn profile and keep it updated? If you do not have one, I highly recommend that you create one because this is another avenue for you to use to apply and/or search for jobs in your desired field.
Benefits to Having a LinkedIn Account:
- Create a network or use it to connect with others in your career field
- This is a great way to stay in contact with your professional network
- Utilize it to have a professional presence online (when people search for you, they can see your profile)
- Other people could recommend or endorse your skills
- People who worked with you could help endorse the skills that you acquired which could help when recruiters are searching for their potential candidates
- Show off project(s) or any piece of work by adding links or images related to your project(s)
- For example, I posted the research studies that I conducted and the studies where I served as a research assistant to show my experience in the field of research
- See other people’s job description or what they do in their job that may be of interest to you
- This is a great idea especially if you are not sure about what you would like to do as your career. By reading other people’s job responsibilities, you could obtain some ideas of what you truly want to do for your career.
- Use it as a way to search for job or apply online
- Recruiters would post jobs on LinkedIn and would accept job applications using your profile.
- Use it as your online resume that you can use in your email signature
- Definitely include your LinkedIn profile in your email signature because you never know who is looking for someone like you for one of their vacant positions.
Now that you know the benefits of having a LinkedIn profile, what should you do next? Check out this YouTube video on How to Make a Great LinkedIn Profile. This short video will help you get some ideas of what you should include in your profile.
Did you know that the Career and Internship Service Center provides year-long LinkedIn related services. In fact, today they are provide professional head shots for students that they can use in their LinkedIn profile! They also provide students services to help you have a great professional online presence.
Below is the information about where and when they will be taking your professional head shot.
Location: Bldg. III—Student Lounge
When: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 – 2:00pm to 6:00pm